Welcome Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kirk's Aluminum Honky Dory

Posted by Sandy 
Kirk's Aluminum Honky Dory
November 25, 2016 12:53PM
This is the coolest MRBoats thing to happen in a long time. Kirk Dittenber (trailerman) is making an aluminum Honky Dory. The infamous HD. Kirk has been sending me photos. I hope he continues to send more. Many more.

I'll collect them as an unedited slideshow at the following address. Perhaps Kirk will help us out with progress reports too. Along the way. I'll collect everything he sends us. I wish I wasn't so damned old. I'd like to do this myself.

==> Kirk's Aluminum HD as a slideshow <==

Re: Kirk's Aluminum Honky Dory
November 26, 2016 12:11AM
.......and now with the bottom tacked on

November 26, 2016 05:27PM
Great to see the thread has got an official home. I'm on a PC for the next week or so, so I might as well start this thread off properly. I thought I would be doing every thing by phone, but that recently changed (stuck at work in front of a bunch of computers).
November 26, 2016 05:30PM

Obviously, I had to make a bunch of strong back forms. A hint. print out the pages and then plow them up. The difference of 1/16 and 11/16 will ruin your day.

November 26, 2016 05:39PM
Dammit! Why can't I post pics from my Google pic album?!
November 26, 2016 05:41PM

I think I may have figured it out. Stand by.
November 26, 2016 05:43PM
Okey, just gonna use a different site to host my pics.

Like everyone else, strong backs need to be made with care. I opted to use 1 x 4 instead of 1 x 6. I knew my boat was going to be much lighter. I olso just lapped the joints. I didn't see a point in having joint plates when a lapped joint was pretty close to the same strength. Glued and screwed.
November 26, 2016 05:46PM

I can't get 16' aluminum, so I just seamed two 8 footers. I'm not saying wood or aluminum is a better boat material, but seaming aluminum has no dry time. Weld it and mark it up.
November 26, 2016 05:48PM

After I welded it up, I gave it a quick buff with the wire wheel. I didn't want to completely flatten the weld until I could weld the opposite side.
November 26, 2016 05:52PM

Got the panels marked up. I was kind of worried when I started making my marks. I was hoping a SB location would not land on the weld. I got lucky. 3" to the side. Just enough room for me to beat on the joint with a big soft face hammer. More on this later.

The circular saw with a carbide toothed blade makes quick work cutting the sheet aluminum. It is loud.
November 26, 2016 05:56PM

Getting read to assemble the panels to the SB's.

As Sandy says in the instructions, 2 men working to attach the alloy to the SB's will make the job much easier. I used mu chain falls to assist me, but it still kicked my ass. A 2 beer break was taken after I got these all screwed down.
November 26, 2016 05:58PM
Just another quick shot of attaching alloy to SB's.
November 26, 2016 06:05PM

All SB's attached to alloy. If you look closely, you can see the seam where the 2 panels are joined. There is a slight warp at the weld. I was worried that my bend would not be perfectly smooth the whole length of the side. Fortunately the weld material is slightly softer than the parent alloy. I was able to swat it with a heavy soft faced mallet and regain my uniform bend. I was happy to find out it worked out easier than I thought.

I'n not going to post up the pic of cinching the bow together before welding. That pic is at the start. Let me tell you, Web straps are your friend.
November 26, 2016 06:07PM

First pieces being seamed for the bottom. I like to ginde off the anodizing before I weld. I find it makes for a slightly nicer weld.
November 26, 2016 06:10PM
Another shot of seaming panels for the bottom. I decide to put them together on the boat, this way they could take on the shape of the bottom somewhat.
November 26, 2016 06:12PM
Sanded both sided in preparation for tack welding bottom to sides
November 26, 2016 06:16PM

Bottom completely tacked to sides or sides tacked to bottom...whatever you prefer, it was upside down welding.

Sorry no pics, but the wife was nice enough to walk on the sheets of aluminium and I was able to make the tack welds. Her 115 lbs was not quite enough to pull down the fromt of the bottom to meet the bow. I had to use the web straps again.
November 26, 2016 06:24PM
In addition to the previous pic, I used the circular saw to cut the excess aluminum off the bottom panels. In all honesty, that job had to be the worse so far. The blade wants to heat up when making turns to match the form of the sides. It would grab and bind. Major suckage. My hands still ache.

I wanted to leave 1/4 of an inch of bottom material. This allows me to put a high quality weld at the joint when I get it turned over. I can have very good welds on the outside and just average welds on the inside. I can garentee my welds will be water proof if I'm standing on the outside completely comfortable. I can't make that statement if I'm crouched over welding on the floor of the boat.
November 26, 2016 06:27PM

Flipping the boat.

Not much to report here. Pretty easy with the assistance of the chain falls. I think a person could do this job with only a 5/16" lag bolt eye screwed int the rafters. The boat weighs next to nothing. I'm really curious to see how much it weighs without the SB's in.
November 26, 2016 06:29PM

This is how the boat sits now. I have it on a big shipping pallet. I attached some cheap castors on the bottom of the pallet. It makes it very easy to move it in and out of the shop.
November 26, 2016 06:34PM

Another pic of the boat on the pallet. You can see where I left extra bottom material. Once I get my outside weld done, that will get cut off. I'll most likely use a plama cutter.

Like I said earlier, I'm stuck at work, so not much progress will be made. I work 12 hr shifts. Free time will be pretty limited until after the first of the year.

I can ask and answer questions with no trouble.
November 27, 2016 02:20AM
Man that baby is coming together fast and looking good!
November 27, 2016 03:08AM
Whoah dew. Where are you? Oregon? Michigan? Georgia?
November 27, 2016 09:59AM
I'm located in the thriving metropolis of Midland, Michigan.
November 27, 2016 02:50PM
Not a clue. Its more awkward than heavy.

I can pick up each end with one hand and move it around with little difficulty.

That reminds me, I've been wanting to pick up some cheap bathroom scales for just this type of thing.
November 27, 2016 04:41PM
Been giving some thought to the side shelf/seat supports.

In the HD plans it is shown that the front and rower seat have their own shelf. I'm thinking of making one, long shelf that supports both seats. This gives me extra hull bracing along the seam. The seam is not a weak point, but the alloy is flexible. With a full length shelf, this would brace the sides very nicely.

In addition, it gives me some very useful storage. I can't count the number of rods I've broke just getting in or out of a boat. Shit, my last rod was broke when I was setting a 12 pack of beer into the boat!

Thoughts? Please comment.

Thanks
Kirk
November 27, 2016 05:02PM

I really like this style of rowers seat. You can just see where the side shelves for from one seat to another.
November 28, 2016 03:49PM

Got the boat up on the table. Hopefully this evening I can get the outside chine weld done. Also ordered another $300 in material, chine/bow angle and tubing for the gunnels.

I'm really enjoying this build.

Am I supposed to name the boat? Is that some custom? I dunno?
December 02, 2016 05:45AM
Got the outer gunnel installed and tacked in place.

December 02, 2016 05:47AM

Another shot. It just takes a bunch of C-clamps to position the band for the outer gunnel. 4-5 good solid tacks the full length of the boat and its not going anywhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login