MRB Home   -- Flies forum   -- Boats forum

tips on biax use? laminate sched opinions?
tips on biax use? laminate sched opinions?
January 01, 2017 08:10PM
so I'm using the BB plans as a starting point for a low sided, minimally rockered skiff. the boat will be about 18" longer than the original design. Im going to be widening the transoms and dishing the chine.

So I've got 1/2" plascore. I also bought 17 oz 45/45 biax fiberglass cloth, 30" wide, from Raka on sale.

I understand the biax will provide additional stiffness/strength, and may also be easier to drape on edges and corners, but harder to wet out.

Im thinking 3 layers on the outside and 2 layers on the inside. Any other recommendations? Maybe cutting some thin strips to use as tape for the chines?

Any tips for wetting out, or working with the biax cloth? Any benefit to laying the 1st and 3rd layers along the length, and the 2nd layer across the width?

This will be for skinny water in Michigan. Class 2 water will be rare.
Re: tips on biax use? laminate sched opinions?
January 01, 2017 10:06PM
.........pretty much covers it. You might want to buy a fiberglass roller from Raka or some other such place. Looks like a small paint roller made out of sheet metal disks spaced a small distance apart. Really helps to get the air bubbles out of a difficult layup.
January 02, 2017 03:53AM
Thanks so much guys!! Really good info.

Regarding the stitches that will stand proud once dry, do I have to fill with epoxy between layers or is this only on my final layer for a smooth surface?

Also, am I prewetting the whole area I'm going to drape, or are you just talking about a test piece so I get an idea?

I'll just use a small space heater to keep the epoxy warm. How warm are we talking? And it will speed up the cure right?

A roller and squeegees were in my order after reading some of tungsten and Sandy's previous posts

Thanks again!
January 05, 2017 10:53PM
I got the raka 608 medium hardener. My hope is to apply everything so that I get a chemical bond. When you say 48 hours, was that final cure or dry to touch but not fully cured?
When the epoxy has mostly cured I don't have to wait to apply the next layer of fiberglass right? Is that how I achieve a chemical bond?
January 06, 2017 04:05AM
You've got next level glassing skills. I'll stick to one at a time. Thank you for taking the time to answer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login